Investors increasingly want their investment portfolios to be aligned with their personal philosophies. Personal philosophies vary widely, but frequently reflect views on health care matters, weapons of mass destruction, or human and/or labor rights.
Solid Investments. Your Values.
Savant’s goal is to maintain an ideal balance of investment and values-based objectives:
- Investment objective: Maximize investment returns while avoiding undue volatility and risk.
- Values-based objective: Utilize investment holdings that are selected with values-based philosophies in mind.
Savant conducts ongoing extensive research on the social values investment products available in the industry. Our strategy incorporates broad social criteria. The end result is a social values portfolio with characteristics similar to the optimized Savant model portfolios:
- Strategy focused on asset allocation
- Broad diversification
- Low cost
- Investment Screening Criteria
Several funds utilized in our Social portfolios are actively screened by the fund managers to avoid areas of concern. In order to get the right asset mix, we use a few funds that are not screened by the fund managers. Savant analyzes the underlying holdings of these funds using software from a leading social-moral research firm, IW Financial, to ensure there are no significant holdings in the areas of concern.
Some asset classes do not require screening, as they naturally do not have securities in areas of concern such as REITs, commodities, and government bonds.
The Social strategy is structured to avoid companies in the following areas:
- Abortion/For-Profit Healthcare/Pharmaceuticals
- Serious Human Rights Violators
- Adult Entertainment
- Military/Weapons of Mass Destruction
- Business in Sudan